Early OC History
The Diego Sepulveda Adobe, located in Costa Mesa, Preserves nearly 200 years of Orange County history. Built about 1820 as a way station for Padres traveling from San Juan Capistrano, the Adobe-known then as the Estancia-changed hands many times over the years. By the end of the 1800s, the Estancia became a part of a larger, rambling ranch house. In the early 1900s, the Estancia became the Derby Ranch when Los Angelino Gabe Allen purchased it. In 1940 the property was purchased by the SErgerstrom family and in 1963, the Estancia and the surrounding 5-acre site was given to the City of Costa Mesa by members of the Segerstrom family as a memorial to the early settlers of the area.