Life is better in La Jolla! When you come to visit, you’ll soon understand why. This upscale community is Heaven on Earth. There you’ll discover wonderful high-end boutiques side by side with small, elegant cafes. The hotels that line the beach are simply exemplary. And La Jolla Cove, the picturesque cove and beach, is breathtaking.
In addition to its fine restaurants, beautiful beaches, hotels and art galleries, La Jolla is home to renowned institutions, such as the Scripps Institution of Oceanography and the Stephen Birch Aquarium & Museum.
Discover for yourself why life is better in La Jolla.
Public transit bus route #30
La Jolla is home to nine beautiful beaches including: Windansea, Marine Street, Horseshoe Beach, Wipeout, Children’s Pool, La Jolla Cove, La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club, La Jolla Shores, and Black’s Beach.
History- Artifacts have been found along the shoreline of La Jolla indicating that Native Americans settled along the shoreline about 10,000 years ago. La Jolla’s name is controversial, and has two different meanings from which the name was originated. The first name is said to be from the Spanish word La Joya, which means “the jewel”. The other meaning came from the Indian term Woholle, which means “hole in the mountains”. This is said to be a suitable name because of the cave and rock formations along La Jolla’s shoreline.This name has appeared in all records since 1928, and it was spelled La Joya.
After La Jolla was incorporated in 1850, permanent settlers didn’t appear until about 19 years later when two brothers, Daniel and Samuel Sizer, each bought a plot there. These brothers bought these 80-acre plots for $1.25 per acre not knowing that in the year 2000 it would be worth $2 million dollars per acre. This land is located between present day Fay Street and La Jolla Boulevard for tourists to visit.
The Father of La Jolla is Frank Botsford, and he arrived in San Diego in 1886. After visiting the breathtaking city of La Jolla, he decided to purchase a plot of land just like the Sizer brothers and developed it over time. Botsford surveyed and subdivided the land and began auctioning off pieces of the land, and this is how he got his name as Father of La Jolla. Eventually this city grew to be very well established and is known for its stunning views and fun outdoor activities.
- La Jolla is one of the most affluent regions in the United States
- It is the home to major academic and artistic centers including the University of California, San Diego and the La Jolla Playhouse
- La Jolla is one of the most popular tourist destinations in San Diego
Things to Do-
- Birch Aquarium at Scripps- Birch Aquarium is the public education center for the world renowned Scripps Institution of Oceanography at UC San Diego. The aquarium features over 60 habitats of fishes and invertebrates from the cold waters of the pacific Northwest to the tropical waters of Mexico and beyond. It is located on top of a bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean. A great place for the whole family to visit while not having to break the bank! For tickets click here.
- La Jolla Playhouse- La Jolla Playhouse offers an array of different shows as well as a dining experience at Jai by Wolfgang Puck, located at the Playhouse. The theater performs for the youth as well as an adult audience, and they create an educational experience for everyone. The Playhouse also contains many events for their patrons and donors to help celebrate different causes.
- Torrey Pines Golf Course- Torrey Pines Golf Course sits on the coastal cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean and is recognized as the premier municipal golf course owned and operated by the city of La Jolla. It is a widely recognizable championship 18-hole golf course. Torrey Pines is also very well known for the site of the most memorable modern day U.S. championship of Tiger Woods defeating Rocco Mediate during a sudden death playoff.
- Mount Soledad Memorial- Mount Soledad is a landmark in La Jolla, CA. After taking a beautiful hike up to the top of the hill, you will be able to view the Mount Soledad Cross. Enjoy the spectacular view, while learning about the history behind it all.
- Scuba Diving- La Jolla is one of the most amazing dive sites in San Diego. One of the most popular suba diving spots is the La Jolla Cove where you can find interesting reef areas, caves, and kelp. There is a wide variety of marine life to discover, so hurry down and enjoy the Cove and all the wonderful amenities that come with it!
- Torrey Pines Gliderport- Have you ever dreamed of going paragliding or hang gliding over the Pacific Ocean? If you haven’t experienced this thrilling, adrenalin-pumping experience, the Torrey Pines Gliderport is the place to go! You will find flights available year-round at Torrey Pines, and tandem flights are offered as well.
- Hike, Bike, Kayak Sports- Discover the spectacular Seven Caves, sea cliffs, and the Underwater Park, all of which are renowned to La Jolla. With the warm water, great weather, and the amazing combination for scenery and wildlife, it is no wonder that kayaking is one of San Diego’s fastest growing recreational activities. Also you can enjoy hiking, biking, snorkeling! Click here for a coupon.
- Knott’s Soak City- Can’t wait to get the family out and soak up the sun? Knott’s Soak City is waiting for you! Enjoy all the fun activities including the wave pool, family raft ride, children’s pool and activity area, and much much more!
- Elijah’s Restaurant- Elijah’s is one of the most popular delicatessens in La Jolla. This is the place to go if you’re looking for delicious sandwiches,desserts, and much more. Elijah’s is one of the best catering companies in La Jolla, and they will cater to your every need. If you’re not interested in the catering department, and you’re just looking for a place to grab a bite, the restaurant is the place to go! There is a wide variety of pastas, sandwiches, soups, salads, fish platters, and desserts. They also serve breakfast that offers tasty omelettes, pancakes, waffes, and more!
- Roy’s- Roy’s restaurant features a Hawaiian Fusion Cuisine that will keep you coming back for more. Enjoy lunch, dinner, or their special Aloha Hour which is Sunday through Friday from 4:30-6:30 pm. Roy’s restaurant contains an award winning wine list, quality service, and amazing food that consists of only the best ingredients.
- Humphrey’s La Jolla Grill- This is a beautifully decorated restaurant with a romantic feel tied in with a casual ambiance. Humphrey’s captures Pacific Rim, Mediterranean, Southwestern, and Modern American cuisines. If you’re interested in enjoying a cocktail and some appetizers, try the Shooters Bar. Monday through Friday offers La Jolla’s best happy hour with drink specials, changing hors d’oeuvres, and entertainment.
- Chedi Thai Bistro- Experience contemporary Thai dining at Chedi Thai Bistro. Their food is prepared from fresh produce and specialty markets that take the ingredients to the highest level. Chedi Thai Bistro strives in making their food healthy and delicious while giving you a memorable experience.
- The Marine Room- The Marine Room is well known for its gorgeous panoramic view of the Pacific and exceptional cuisine. Renowned for its fresh seafood, from local favorites to the exotic, you can always savor the finest in steak and other fare. Before or after your meal, come relax in their elegant bar and lounge while enjoying specialty drinks, hors d’oeuvres, and spectacular high-tide views.